Mdm Tan Irene
Ms Irene Tan graduated from the National University of Singapore with a Bachelor of Science in Chemistry and Applied Chemistry. Upon graduation from the Institute of Education in June 1988, she taught in her alma mater, Jurong Secondary School. She completed the Diploma in Departmental Management in 1999 in National Institute of Education.
Prior to her appointed as Master Teacher in 2008, Ms Tan taught in the same school for 20 years. She enjoyed all her 20 years as a classroom teacher. During this period, she also held the appointment as a Head of Department; HOD (Science) for 10 years and HOD (Larger Portfolio) for 3 years. She was awarded the MOE Local Scholarship for Postgraduate Studies at National Institute of Education in 2010. She has since returned from her studies in June 2011. She is also the First Vice Chairman of the Science Teachers Association of Singapore.
Professional Involvement and Contributions
1. ERAS Conference, 2006: Leveraging on Project Work to Enhance School and Community Spirit at Jurong Secondary School
2. 32ndIAEA Conference, 2006: Innovations and Best Practices, Authentic Assessment through Innovative Project Work
3. ICCE Conference, 2006: Using IT to Power and Support Problem-Based Engaged Learning
4. TLLM Seminar, 2007: Using PBL as a Pedagogical Approach for Scientific Inquiry in Secondary one Classrooms
5. APERA Conference, 2008: Learning Chemistry through PBL Approach
6. PBL Symposium at Republic Polytechnic, 2009: Incorporating Thinking Tools to Enhance Facilitation of Problem-Based Learning
7. International Conference on Thinking (ICOT), 2009: Affinity Diagram Thinking Tool to Enhance Higher Order Thinking Skills
8. Shanghai International Forum on Science Literacy of Precollege Students (2011): Teaching Science through Inquiry (presented in Mandarin)
9. World Association of Lesson Study (WALS) Conference (2011): Understanding Teachers’ Discourse at Post Research Lesson Conferences