Mr Choon Ming Kwang was appointed Master Teacher / Mathematics at the Academy of Singapore Teachers in January 2018. Prior to joining AST, Ming Kwang was a Lead Teacher in North Spring Primary School. He works closely with teacher leaders to champion quality learning in Primary Mathematics.
He builds teacher capacity and encourages pedagogical innovations through mentoring teacher leaders. His interest in mathematical communication has led him to conduct several workshops on the use of ‘Talk Moves’ and ‘Pentagon Questions’ to engage students in clarifying their thinking and justifying their mathematical reasoning. Through his workshops and networked learning communities, he seeks to nurture teachers to be reflective professionals.
In recognition of his significant contribution towards professional development of teachers, he was awarded the MOE Service Excellence Award 2015 and Associate of Academy Awards 2016 and 2017.
Conference Papers (refereed)
Seto, C., Ng, T., Choon, M. K. & Tan, K. T. (2018). Leadership and capacity-building through networked learning communities for pedagogical excellence. Paper presented at the International Congress for School Effectiveness and Improvement Conference. Singapore
Selected Workshop Facilitations & Sharing Sessions:
- ICAN Symposium: ‘Let’s Talk Maths – Talk Moves’, co-facilitated with NORTH CMMs (2015)
- ICAN Symposium: ‘I Can Talk Maths – Pentagon Questions’, co-facilitated with NORTH CMMs (2016)
- ICAN Symposium: ‘Let’s Do Maths – Mathematics Tasks’, co-facilitated with NORTH CMMs (2017)
- MOE ExCEL Fest: ‘Fostering Critical and Inventive Thinking through Mathematical Tasks for Primary and Secondary Mathematics teachers’ (2017)
- CPDD Invited Sharing: ‘ICAN Talk Moves in Maths Lessons’ (2017 and 2018)