Theresa was a Senior Teacher for 12 years and Lead Teacher for 3 years prior to her appointment as a Master Teacher (Mathematics) in 2017. As a teacher leader, Theresa believes in honing her craft to reach out to students of all abilities, from the weakest to the best. Starting her teaching career as a pioneer in the Pre-Primary Programme in 1979, Theresa also has teaching experience in the Gifted Education Programme for Mathematics and the Singapore International School in Hong Kong. With her passion in teaching mathematics, she continually keeps abreast with the teaching methodology. She obtained the Bachelor of Science (Mathematics) in 2005 with the Singapore Institute of Management and Master of Education (Gifted Education) in 2012 with Nanyang Technological University, Singapore.
Throughout her 38 years of teaching mathematics in primary schools, Theresa is active to contribute to the professional development of teachers by conducting various workshops and sharing at schools, clusters, zones and national platforms.
Theresa strongly believes that the DNA of every child is to ‘play’. Through play, a child embarks on a journey of exploration and discovery. She believes in learning through play as the play factor is an important component in the teaching and learning of mathematics. She hopes to make a difference in students learning by building the capacity of teachers.
Theresa was conferred the Associate of Academy of Singapore Teachers in 2012 and 2016 for her contribution to the professional development of fellow teachers in the fraternity.
Professional Involvement and Contributions
Selected Conference Presentation:
- Seto, C., Lim, W.Y. & Heng, T. (2011). A case study on teachers’ participation in a mathematics networked learning community. Paper presented at the 4th Redesigning Pedagogy International Conference, 30 May–1 June 2011, National Institute of Education, Singapore.
Selected Workshop Facilitations & Sharing Sessions:
- MOE ExCEL Fest: ‘Fun with Maths: Teaching Children Mathematics using an Experiential Approach’ (2014)
- Professional Learning Session for West Zone: Overview of ICAN Principles – Applying ICAN Strategies in Fractions, co-facilitated with WEST CMMs (2016)
- ICAN Symposium: ‘Effective Memory Practices’, co-facilitated with WEST CMMs (2016)
- CPDD Invited Sharing: ‘ICAN Talk Moves in Maths Lessons’ (2017)