Mdm Gnanamany Yacobjoined the Academy of Singapore Teachers (AST) as a Nutrition and Food Science Master Teacher in 2017. Gnanamany began her teaching career as a primary school teacher. She then joined a secondary school where she set up the Home Economics Unit and looked into areas related to student development. This experience of teaching a broad spectrum of students and the desire to reach out to the different profiles of learners led her to pursue a Master of Education (Special Education).
Her training in the Skilful Teacher, Enhanced Mentoring Programme further sharpened her skills in mentoring beginning teachers. As a Teacher Leader, she conducted various sharing and coaching sessions on strengthening pedagogies in the teaching of the subjects like food and consumer education, and food and nutrition.
In her present role at AST, she serves the fraternity through capacity building of teachers in stretching students’ thinking and learning. Her current interest and area of inquiry include Visible Thinking by the Harvard Graduate School of Education.
Professional Involvement and Contributions
1. Redesigning Pedagogy International Conference 2017: #JoyofLearning trough Context Based Learning
2. Food and Consumer Education Seminar 2015, Using Alternative Assessment to Imbue Communication, Collaboration and Information Seeking Skills in the learning of FCE while using VIA, MOE.
3. Academy Symposium 2013: Lesson Study to Enhance Student engagement in Nutrition and Food Science, Academy of Singapore Teachers
4. Partnership for Developing Classroom Practices: A Learning Forum for Mentoring Teachers- Mentoring Processes in Jurongville, NIE, 2012
5. 3rd NIE-AHES Home Economics Symposium 2010, Class-wide Peer Tutoring: An integrated strategy to improve Secondary 3 Food & Nutrition engagement, 2010
6. Asia Pacific Educational Research Association Conference, MI Mealplanner, 2008